November 24, 2012

Williams Family :: Photo Swap

I remember one of the first times I met Jessica. We had just started at a new church and didn't know many people but she was always so nice every time we crossed paths. One day I decided to offer my photography skills to her (she was pregnant at the time and I was still pimping myself out offering free sessions for practice) and handed her my card. Lo and behold she says, "oh I'm a photographer too." For some reason it made me totally embarrassed and I think I awkwardly smiled and said, oh cool! Or something lame like that! I don't know why I was so embarrassed. Perhaps it was my pride or maybe I felt like she was thinking how silly it was of me to be offering photo sessions to random people when clearly I was an amateur. Who really knows. I look back on it now and just laugh because had I never offered them to her, I may have never really "met" her or become friends. 


Fast forward a year or so, I approached her again about photos (apparently I didn't learn) but this time I was more interested in a photo swap. I'd do their family pictures and she'd do ours. We had started to get to know each other by this time so it wasn't as awkward as I'm making it out to be hehe. She was totally game and I was excited to be able to get more practice and have some awesome pictures done of us as well. We headed out to my new secret shooting spot and had fun. There wasn't any pressure and they were so relaxed about it all. They put up with my random requests and smiled through the directions as if I really knew what I was doing! 


Baby G totally cooperated and laughed through the whole session which made it even easier to capture some pretty cool memories. I'm super excited to get ours done this weekend!

 

Jess, thank you for being so approachable and for letting me "talk shop" with you. You've encouraged me and supported me without even knowing it. I'm so excited about our new adventure but I'm even more thankful I can call you a friend. 
mandi

Check out their full gallery HERE!

2 comments:

Jess Williams said...

Oh my gosh you are so silly! I love the idea that you had and how you approached me for your photography! I think it's great! I too am so glad that you did and am thankful for our new friendship and upcoming adventure.

My family is so so special to me and you captured us perfectly! We were completely comfortable with you and had a great time! I can't wait for tomorrow to (hopefully) return the favor. Love you!

Carrie McCray said...

Oh those are great pics! i love (and am secretly jealous) how the baby is smiling in like every shot! CANT wait to see yours!!